There’s a lot happening throughout Michigan and our country that has received our attention this summer. Although those issues are very important, here are five reasons why you should still care about the Flint Water Crisis.
- Well yeah? 10 people have died in Flint from Legionnaires disease that came from the contaminated water. This doesn’t take into account the unknown number of children that have brain defects from drinking water with lead in it. There shouldn’t be a specific reason for you to care, people are dying.
- Lead water is coming to a city near you. The Detroit News reported that kids in cities such as Holland and Muskegon have higher levels of lead in their blood than kids in Flint. While the President is drinking “clean” water in Flint, he probably wouldn’t do that in nearly any other city in the state.
- In many cases the government is trying to keep the lead water crisis a secret. Frank Raymore, a city worker in Westland, Michigan told Fox 2 news that he discovered a lead water pipe and instead of removing the pipe his boss ordered him to bury it and keep it a secret. There is no telling how many lead pipes may be buried under Flint or other cities.
- The cost to replace and fix Flint’s pipes may cost as much as $1.5 billion dollars, and you better believe the government knows where it will get the money for the project… your tax dollars. You will be paying more in taxes to fix the mistakes of the government. This may not surprise anyone but isn’t that the most pathetic part?
- Rick Snyder is a multi-billionaire, but apparently he has hit rocky economic times. It has been reported that Governor Snyder wants us to pay his legal fees because somehow this is the fault of his citizens. We need to hold the government accountable for their mistakes and hold their feet to the fire.